There is only a couple more days of school before the school holidays and my kids are dropping like flies. Cold-like symptoms, coughing, sore throats, and this morning someone woke up with a fever …. It is obviously time for a bit of a break, and a bit of TLC in our house.
In saying that – I am fully aware that while I would love to have a relaxing and restful holiday, kids are not 100% wired like that and in-between all the wonderful down-time I’m going to have to organise some activities to keep them entertained.
My (still growing) holiday list:
- Movies – there are some great kids movies that have just come out, and for us, going to the movies is a big excursion as we don’t have a local movie theatre. For winter though you can’t beat it.
- Hot pools and hydroslides – after the colds have gone away
- The local maze – is a good way to while away a couple of hours and it’s outside and in the fresh air on a good day.
- Skiing – I’d like to head up the mountains for at least 1 crazy school holiday ski session before the lessons start next term – just to check everything fits and to bring the kids confidence back up.
- Ice skating – this is also on the agenda for term 3 – but a go just for fun with the kids will be a good winter school holiday activity.
On the less-exciting list I have:
- Tidy rooms
- Clear out clothes that are too small
- Re-arrange furniture – if the kids want a change
- Baking to fill the freezer
- Clearing out old and broken toys
- Sports training for ballet, karate, and cross country – these things are all coming up in term 3 and the kids have some training to do, so that next term goes a bit easier.
I’m sure that these lists will change a bit, but we are not planning any trips away so the rest of the time will be easy and re-fueling.
What’s on your list for the school holidays?