The excitement of Christmas has been, the food is still being enjoyed, but the kids are starting to get a bit down and cranky.
This is completely normal.
It doesn’t mean that you have the most ungrateful kids in the world. It doesn’t mean that you are the worst mother for not actually buying them what they “really, really wanted” for Christmas.
‘Post event Blues’ s a normal phenomena that we go through as humans. When we build up for an event, a celebration, or anything, there is always a period of downtime, or sad time afterwards as we come to terms with everything being over.
Nothing is like the anticipation of Christmas for children, and therefore there is nothing like the sad-time for children afterwards.
My tips to get through the ‘Post Chistmas Blues’:
- schedule in daily quiet time
- keep the kids hydrated and sun blocked up
- try and keep mealtimes as routines as you can
- spend some time with your kids – reading their new books to them, or looking through their new toys.
- manage your own socialising so that you don’t let the kids behaviour get completely out of control.
- if you are with the wider family or friends, plan something just for you and your kids to calm everything down.
- if the kids are still a bit down about missing out on a favourite toy for Christmas, the the Boxing Day sales could be you friend – just put some rules and boundaries around the spending.
Enjoy the Summer Weather!